Administrative procedures

✓ BatiGloal has been assisting its clients with administrative procedures for over 11 years. Contact us today to benefit from our expertise and a free quote for your project.

Before starting any BBC construction, renovation or fitting-out work, it is essential to take an interest in the administrative procedures that you will have to follow both upstream and downstream of your project. For 10 years the Batiglobal team has been advising and accompanying its clients through the sometimes complex process of the steps necessary for the success of your real estate project in Alsace. From the first phase of listening to your project, through the realization of your specifications, your architect’s plans, your meeting with your banker, our teams of specialists will help you to simplify your life. Our recognized experience and our strict Alsatian rigour will make your BBC single-family home project a reality that will delight you. Do not hesitate to contact our advisers in order to benefit from the advantages of information or advice. Nothing easier Click on the contact button.

A brief overview of the different steps to follow…

The building permit

A building permit is an administrative document that gives the administration the means to verify that a construction project complies with the planning rules in force. Generally speaking, new constructions are subject to this building permit in principle, even if they do not have a foundation. The same applies to work that alters the volume of a building and creates or enlarges an opening on an exterior wall, as well as to changes in the use of premises (when the work alters the load-bearing structure of a building or its facade).
In order to obtain it, you must fill in a Cerfa form (Centre for Registration and Revision of Administrative Forms) which you will complete with a map of the site, facades and roofs as well as photographs. You can obtain this form from the town hall of the commune where the land is located (and it is at the same place that you will also have to submit your complete file.
This building permit application and the accompanying file must be drawn up in 4 copies. Within 15 days of the request, the Town Hall will post the notice of permit filing to inform the public.
The maximum time limit for the examination of the file is generally between 2 and 3 months.
The work must then begin within 2 years of the agreement granted by the administration. However, you will be able to apply for an extension of the building permit at least 2 months before it expires. It is essential that it is posted at the town hall and must also be visible from the public thoroughfare. At the beginning of the works, it is imperative to warn the mayor’s office by transmitting a Construction Site Opening Declaration (DOC), and at the end, a Declaration of Completion and Conformity of Works (DACT) in the same mayor’s office.

The prior declaration

The prior declaration is necessary for smaller buildings and is intended to regulate real estate activity in a given sector.
It concerns in particular the new construction of a small surface(between 2m² and 20 m²), but also the extension of a building (of the same surface area as before), or the modification of the external appearance of a building and the change of purpose of a building.
Like the building permit, it is the subject of an official Cerfa printout and must be completed by a file containing: the materials’ instructions, the location and surface area of the land, the nature of the works or the intended change of purpose.
This document is available at the town hall of the commune where the land is located and must be returned in 2 copies. The average training period is one month. After this period, you benefit from a non-opposition to the work.
The prior declaration shall be valid for three years from its acceptance.
Once the work has begun, it must not be interrupted for more than one year. However, they may be staggered, provided that each interruption is less than one year and that the work carried out from one year to the next is sufficiently large and significant. However, this advance declaration may be extended by one year. A Construction Site Opening Declaration (DOC) must be sent to the town hall as soon as work begins.

The planning certificate

The planning certificate is an administrative act that indicates the status of the urbanization rules applicable to a given geographical area. Thus, it provides information on the constructibility and the rights and obligations attached to your land and does not replace the building permit.

There are two types of planning certificates :

  • the information planning certificate allows you to know the urban planning rules in force that are appropriate to the land and provides information on the planning provisions, the list of taxes and contributions applicable for a given land, etc…
  • the operational urban planning certificate indicates whether the land can be used for the implementation of the project and gives the state of the existing or planned public facilities serving the land (tracks and networks).

The application for a town planning certificate can be made at the town hall of the municipality where the land is located or on a printed form also using the Cerfa form completed by a descriptive notice of the project as well as a plan of the land and a site map of the land in the commune.

The duration of the planning certificate (whether it is an information planning certificate or an operational planning certificate) is 18 months from the date of issue and may be extended by one year under certain conditions.

Authorization of the Architect of French Buildings

Less than 500 metres from a listed site or a historical monument (church, castle, etc.), some work projects must be carried out in collaboration with the Architectes des Bâtiments de France (ABF) because these buildings are considered part of the heritage and are therefore protected by law. It is therefore essential to obtain prior authorization from the Architect of the French Buildings before starting any work.

In the case of listed or classified houses, all work is subject to a building permit application. If you are located on a protected site or owner of a classified site, the town hall will itself (after study by its services) send your request for a building permit to the architect of the French Buildings or Historic Monuments. Consider allowing longer delays than those for building permits or the declaration of usual works.

Permit to Demolish

Its purpose is to prevent the total or partial demolition of buildings located in a protected area as part of the architectural, urban or landscape heritage: it intervenes in particular before the construction of a new building. The procedure is the same as for the first three examples mentioned in this article: it requires a Cerfa form completed by a file consisting of various documents (plot of the land, mass plan of the buildings to be demolished or if necessary to be preserved) and which must be published in 4 copies. The demolition permit is valid for 2 years. It can be extended 2 months before it expires.

Declaration of Completion and Compliance of Works (DACT)

This declaration is a document that informs the administration of the completion of the work and the conformity of the construction. It thus engages the responsibility of the declarant regarding the respect of construction rules. In order to be valid, it must specify the nature of the work carried out, be accompanied by a certificate issued by an approved technical inspector or architect and by a technical inspector who will specify whether or not the technical standards have been complied with by the client.

Where it deems it necessary, the administration may proceed (within 3 months from the date of receipt of the TABD) with an on-the-spot check of the work carried out in order to verify the conformity of the work with the building permit or prior declaration. If it finds an anomaly that cannot be rectified, it may require the demolition of the construction.

Download documents (PDF)